STEP 1: Wireless Connection
- On the Desktop (home screen)
- Tap on the Wireless Icon on the bottom right hand of screen.
- Select LUfacstaffpersonal and then click Connect.
- When prompted enter your username and Lawrence password.
Note you will not have full internet access until you complete the rest of the process below.
STEP 2: Update or Install Security & Antivirus Software
All window computers must have current antivirus software installed in order to register on the Lawrence University Network. Download any updates available for your antivirus software. (Note: Although you will not have access to the majority of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to both antivirus updates and the Lawrence University home page.)
If you currently do not have antivirus software, or if your subscription has expired, Lawrence University has suggestions for (free) anti-virus software based on your operating system. You can find these at:
Note: Lawrence does not provide antivirus software for personally owned computers.
STEP 3: Update Your Operating System
All computers must have a current operating system in order to register on the LU Network. Please follow these steps to ensure your operating system has the latest updates. (Note: Although you will not have access to the majority of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to operating system updates.)
- From Desktop go to the Search field.
- Type Windows Update in search field.
- Select Check for Updates in found search results.
- The Update & Security window will open. Select CHECK FOR UPDATES (button) and install all available updates.
STEP 4: Network Registration
- Open an internet Browser such as Edge, Firefox, Chrome.
- A security page should appear (if it doesn't try going to a website such as cnn.com). If using Internet Explorer or Edge, tap Continue to this Website (Not Recommended). If using Firefox/Chrome, tap ADD an Exception. Tap Get certificate. Tap Confirm Security exception.
- A Lawrence University Network Device Registration page will appear. After you have read the "Acceptable Use Policy" click Agree to continue.
- Select the link "Faculty-Staff personal device registration".
- Enter your Username and Password, Select appropriate device for the type of connection and click Download.
- A download window will appear. Click Run
- A Windows User Account Control prompt will appear. Click Yes.
Your computer will be scanned for required software by the Bradford agent. Once the scan is complete, a success/failure page will appear. If the failure page appears, read the message carefully. It will tell you either your Operating System has more updates or your antivirus has more updates.
STEP 5:Connect to Your Personal Network Space
- For Windows 10 - Select Desktop at the bottom of your screen and tap on the folder icon (file explorer).
- On the left of the window, select This PC.
- On the top left of the window, tap Computer then Map Network Drive.
- Select drive P: In the folder field, type: \\elda.lawrence.edu\department name\username (substitute with your LUusername).
- Check the box Reconnect at Logon.
- Select Connect using different credentials and tap Finish.
- In the username field, type: Viking\username (substitute with your LUusername).
- In the password field, enter your Lawrence password. Tap OK. Tap Finish.
To reconnect after your computer is restarted:
- From Desktop-go to the bottom of your screen and tap on the folder icon.
- On the left of the window, select Computer.
- Double-tap the drive you just mapped.
- At the password prompt, Enter your Lawrence password.
- Turn on the built-in wireless adapter/WiFi by clicking the WiFi icon in the upper right corner of the screen and selecting Turn WiFi On.
- Then select the LUfacstaffpersonal network from the same WiFi credential menu.
- Authenticate by entering your Lawrence network username and password. Click OK.
- Verify the certificate and click Continue. You will likely be prompted to enter your computer admin password. This is not your Lawrence account.
- Your wireless connection should now be complete.
Note: If not connecting automatically to the wireless network, turn off the WiFi and then turn it back on.
STEP 2: Update Your Operating System
All computers must have current operating system software in order to register on the LU Network. Follow these steps to ensure your operating system has the latest software updates. (Note: Although you will not have access to most of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to operating system updates.)
- Click Apple – Software Update. Wait while Apple checks for updates for your computer.
- Run available updates.
STEP 3: Update or Install Antivirus SoftwareTechnology Services strongly encourages anti-virus software on Apple computers. If you have security & Antivirus software installed you will need to download any updates available for this software.
(Note: Although you will not have access to the majority of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to antivirus updates.)
If you currently do not have antivirus software, or if your subscription has expired, you will need to either install one of the free options or purchase a new subscription. For more information about available options and instructions see the Security and Anti-virus software page.
STEP 4 Network Registration
- Open an Internet Browser (Safari is preferred).
- A security page should appear. (if it doesn't appear navigate to an external site such as cnn.com. THis should force the page to appear.) Click Continue to this Website or Yes to proceed.
- A Lawrence University Network introduction page will appear. Read and click Continue.
- Select the last link, "Personal device registration for Lawrence University faculty and staff".
- A Lawrence Terms and Agreement page will appear. Read and click I Agree.
- Select Wireless Laptop from the drop down menu. Enter your Username and Password and click Continue.
- A download window will appear. Choose to save the file to your Desktop and click Save.
- From your desktop, locate and run the Bradford Dissolvable Agent file.
- If a message appears, select Continue.
- Your computer will be scanned for required software by Bradford. Once the scan is complete, either a success page or a failure page will appear. If the failure page appears, click on the link to see how to resolve the failure. If the success page appears, you have successfully completed registration. Reboot your computer.
Note: If your computer is found to be interfering with the LU Network or spreading viruses, it will be disconnected from the network until the problem is resolved. Contact the Helpdesk for assistance.
STEP 5: Connecting to Network Spaces
- In the Finder, select the Go menu and Connect to Server.
- In the address field, type one of the following:
- Personal Network space AND Department share: smb://elda.lawrence.edu/your department acronym/
- Campus Share: smb://curtis.lawrence.edu/campus_share
- Click the plus button. Then click Connect.
- Enter your LU Network username and password at the prompt.
- Click your own user folder from the list and select File – Add to Sidebar.
- To reconnect in the future, click your user folder in the Sidebar.
Please remember to close files and eject the network drives before putting your computer to sleep or you may corrupt your files.
Note - you must repeat the below step for each mobile device you wish to use on the LUwireless wireless network.
Note 2 - On Apple iOS devices (phones and iPads) you must turn off "private browsing" in order to register your device. Go to Settings- Sarfari-Request Desktop Website and turn off All websites.
Note 3 - On Apple iOS devices (phones and iPads) you must turn off "private address" in order to register your device. Go to Settings- Wi-Fi -select the Wi-Fi network you will be connecting to (Luwireless for students or LUFACSTAFFPERSONAL for faculty and staff), press the more information icon to the right of the network name. scroll down to Private address. Turn this off.
- From your personal device, turn on the Wireless connection. You should be presented with a list of wireless networks in your area. Every device is different on exactly how to turn on the wireless connection. On Apple iOS devices go to the Settings application.
- From the list of available networks select the LUFACSTAFFPERSONAL network.
- Once connected to the LUFACSTAFFPERSONAL network you will be prompted for a username and password. Enter your network username and password. Tap join on the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- You may get a certificate warning message. You must accept this certificate to continue. Tap Trust on the upper right-hand side of the screen.
- A blue checkmark will appear just to the left of LUfacstaffpersonal. Next, open Safari to complete the registration. Visit one of the following sites such as: espn.com, cnn.com or msn.com.
- A page will open saying you are trying to connect to a site that is not secure. Click on show details. On the extended show details page, choose visit this site. A pop-up box will appear; choose visit website again. The redirection to the Lawrence University Network Registration page will occur. Click Agree at the bottom of the page and continue with the registration process.
- On the Select Options page click on the last link; "Personal device registration for Lawrence faculty and staff".
- The Device Registration page will appear. Enter your network username and password and select smartphone or tablet from the drop-down list. Tap Download.
- You will get a success screen with a progress bar that will count down from 41 seconds.
- Once the bar has finished going across, you will get a message that says; "your network connection has been reconfigured. Please close and reopen your browser." Tap close on the lower left-hand corner of the pop-up.
- You must close the browser and reopen it. You should then be able to access the internet on your personal device using the LUFACSTAFFPERSONAL wireless network. To test, visit www.espn.com or cnn.com.
Note: Remember that Lawrence currently has wireless service in academic buildings and in residence halls. We do not yet have coverage outdoors or in some administrative buildings.
Note - you must repeat the below steps for each Android device you wish to use on the LUfacstaffpersonal network.
Note 2: Your mobile device must support WPA2 Enterprise Security. This is very common and supported by most phones. If your mobile device does NOT support WPA2 Enterprise it will NOT be able to connect to the LUfacstaffpersonal wireless network.
1. From your Android device, tap on Settings.
2. From the list on the next screen, tap on Connections
3. On the next screen, tap on WIFI. From the list of available networks. select the LUfacstaffpersonal wireless network.
4. Once LUfacstaffpersonal is selected, make sure you select PEAP for the EAP method. You may also need to select MSCHAP2 for the phase 2 authentication.
5. If prompted for a Domain enter lawrence.edu
6. Enter your network username and password.
7. Under certificate, choose Do Not Validate; tap Connect.
8. Once the connection to LUfacstaffpersonal network has been made, you may be redirected to the Lawrence University Network Registration page. If not automatically redirected, start an internet browser to complete the registration process by visiting a website such as: espn.com, cnn.com or msn.com.
9. The Lawrence University Network Registration page appears, click Agree at the bottom of the page to continue the process.
10. On the select options page click on the last link, "Personal device registration for Lawrence University faculty and staff."
11. The Registration and Security Agent Application screen will appear. Enter your network username and password. Select your device type from the drop-down list box (either smartphone or tablet). Tap Download.
12. Depending on your device type, you may or may not get a successfully registered message. If you do get a success screen with a progress bar, it will count down from 41 seconds.
13. Once the bar has finished going across you may get a message that says; "your network connection has been reconfigured. Please close and reopen your browser." Tap close in the lower left-hand corner of the pop-up.
14. Close out of your browser and reopen it. Visit a website to make sure the connection is there.
If your computer did NOT come with the Microsoft Office, use the link provided below to find out how to use and download Office 365 for free.
To download the free Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other Microsoft Office software do the following. Note, you need to do this from the computer you want to Microsoft office installed on.
- On you device go to: https://webmail.lawrence.edu
- Click on Office 365
- Login to Office 365 with your firstname.lastname@example.org (i.e., email@example.com) and your password.
- Click the Install Office apps (top, right corner).
- Select the version of Office you need.
- Follow the on screen prompts to install the software.