Registration on the Lawrence University Network is necessary in order to access the Internet, printers and shared document folders across campus. Follow this guide sequentially to successfully register your personal computer. If you need assistance, please contact the Helpdesk.
STEP 1: Wireless Connection
Lawrence provides the LUwireless network in all residence halls and academic buildings, as well as many other places on campus. Other wireless access points are NOT permitted on the Lawrence network as they can interfere with the Lawrence wireless network.
- Turn on the built-in wireless adapter/AirPort by clicking the AirPort icon in the upper right corner of the screen and selecting Turn WiFi/AirPort On.
- Click on the WiFi icon again and select the LUwireless from the available networks lists.
- Enter your Lawrence username and password in the fields and click OK.
- Your wireless connection should now be complete.
STEP 2: UPDATE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM
All computers must have current operating system software in order to register on the LU Network. Please follow these steps to ensure your operating system has the latest software updates. (Note: Although you will not have access to most of the Internet until your computer is registered, you WILL have access to operating system updates.)
- Click Apple – About this Mac.
- Click Software Update. Wait while Apple checks for updates for your computer.
- Run available updates.
STEP 3: UPDATE OR INSTALL ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE
Technology Services strongly encourages anti-virus however, on an Apple computer, this is not required. If you prefer, you can use any other antivirus program that you like.
NOTE: You can reduce the risk of getting malicious software by using software from reliable sources. In Security & Privacy preferences, this allows you to specify the sources of software installed on your Mac.
STEP 4: NETWORK REGISTRATION
- Open a web browser (Safari preferred).
- In the URL bar/Search bar type in a non-frequently used site such as CBS.com, ABC.com or ESPN.com.
- A Lawrence University Network Device Registration page will appear. Once you have the Acceptable Use Policy click Agree to continue
- Select the link "student personal device registration".
- Enter your Lawrence Username and Password (this is your Voyager/LU email password).
- Select appropriate device that you need to register and click Download.
- Go to your Downloads folder at the top right of your webpage and run the Bradford Dissolvable Agent. If not located in the top right go to your downloads folder.
- Click the PDF/Bradford Dissolvable Agent.
- A box will appear Click OK
- Go to your Apple (top left of your computer) - Click System Preferences.
- Go to your Security & Privacy (shape of a house)
- Click on the General Tab you will see a button click Allow Anyway.
- A new webpage will appear and configure your device. Once completed restart your computer.