The horn studio participates in a variety of activities that are meant to expand the opportunities available to students through travel and participation in masterclasses.
Recent Master Classes and special guests have included:
• Douglas Hill (Professor Emeritus, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and former President, International Horn Society)
• William Barnewitz (Former Principal Horn, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra)
• Lydia van Dreel (University of Oregon)
• Lisa Bontrager (Pennsylvania State)
• Thomas Bacon (St. Louis Brass)
• Randy Gardner (Cincinnati Conservatory of Music)
• Fergus McWilliam (Berlin Philharmonic and Wind Quintet)
• Andrew Pelletier (Bowling Green)
Besides regular master classes with guest artists, studio trips are also common. The studio most recently traveled to Madison to see Radovan Vlatkovic give a master class, as well as to the Midnorth Horn Workshop in Minneapolis where Jeff Nelson and Denise Tryon were the featured artists. In addition, trips have been arranged to see the Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and Chicago Symphony Orchestras perform.
The studio regularly uses the facilities at Bjorklunden to host weekends with special guests such as Douglas Hill and Bill Barnewitz.
Many studio members have also taken advantage of the opportunity to study in Great Britain at Lawrence’s London Centre. Past students have been able to study with the likes of Michael Thompson, Richard Watkins, Pip Eastop, and Hugh Seenan.