Opt Out - Tax Workshop

International Student Services and Payroll host a Tax workshop for all enrolled F-1/J-1 students.  However, if you would like to opt-out of the session, please submit this form and pick up your tax documents from the Payroll Staff at Brokaw Hall, Room 115.

This question is included to prevent automated spam submissions; it is not presented to logged-in users.

Student Employment

Finding a Job on Campus

There are several ways to get a job on campus. You can log into Luworks here where most of the available jobs are posted.  However, not every job is posted on Luworks; hence, you may have to contact specific offices about openings. We also highly recommend talking to current students in the positions you are interested in for application information and advice. Lastly, Career Services is a useful resource on campus that will help you with your applications and job search!

Getting a Social Security Card

You have to obtain a social security card to work legally in the United States. The documents required to apply for a social security card are listed below.

Documents needed to request a social security card:

  •     Passport
  •     I-20/DS-2019
  •     I-94 - available at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov
  •     Job letter - available from the Payroll Office
  •     Page 5 of the Form SS-5 - complete before your visit or when you arrive

Appleton Social Security Administration (SSA) Office

607 W Northland Ave, Appleton, WI 54911

Additional Information from the SSA

Applying for a Social Security Card 
International Students and Social Security Numbers

Payroll Paperwork

You will need to go to the Payroll Office to find out what paperwork is required before you can begin to work.   A checking or savings account at a U.S. bank is necessary because your payroll checks will be deposited directly into your account.  Your social security card will arrive in your SPC mailbox in the Warch Campus Center.  Once it arrives, please bring it immediately to the Payroll Office so additional payroll paperwork can be completed.  The Payroll Office is located in Brokaw Hall, Room 115 and is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm.


Anyone who has earned income in the U.S. is required to file tax returns.  It is the student's responsibility to obtain, complete, and submit the necessary paperwork by the federal deadline.  ISS and Payroll does offer a Tax Workshop for enrolled F-1/J-1 students.