Course Load Concerns

F-1/J-1 international students must carry 15 units minimum or request a Reduced Course Load Authorization from International Student Services.

Work Concerns

  • F-1 and J-1 students must not work off campus for any reason without prior authorization from International Student Services.
  • Students may work on-campus up to 20 hours/week during the academic year and 40 hours/week during school breaks.
  • Students may pursue off-campus internships (paid or unpaid) with authorization for "Curricular Practical Training" (CPT) from ISS after the appropriate documentation is completed.  More information about CPT is available at the CPT webpage for students.
  • Academic Advisors and/or faculty members will be asked to assist with the completion of the forms required for CPT authorization.
    • ADVISOR must complete "Academic Advisor CPT Eligibility Verification Form."
    • ADVISOR OR FACULTY overseeing course/independent study must submit evidence that the internship/employment is integral to the student's major (see below three options or "Academic Advisor CPT Eligibility Form").
  • All internships (paid or unpaid) must be directly related to the student's major AND integral to their course of studies.  Lawrence's policy is, if applicable, to demonstrate the integral nature of the employment by documenting one of three acceptable following reasons on the "Academic Advisor CPT Eligibility Verification Form"   The internship:
  1. Is related to the student's area of study and an integral part of the program of study.  Documented by submitting a memo to ISS (CPT sample letter from professor.doc).
  2. Is required by the program of study and demonstrated by publication in the Lawrence University Catalog. Documented by submitting evidence in Course Catalog.
  3. will provide an opportunity to conduct research or collect data to be used in students' thesis/dissertation. Documented by submitting a memo to ISS explaining how it will be used in thesis/dissertation.