A Vacation with a Focus
Lawrence University's Northern Campus
Door County, Wisconsin
If you're in search of a unique adventure that combines relaxation with education, Björklunden has just what you're looking for. The Björklunden seminar program provides an opportunity for you to spend a week at the lodge attending an engaging and thought-provoking class in the mornings while giving you ample time to explore beautiful Door County in the afternoons. We like to call it a "vacation with a focus"—and hope you'll consider joining us this summer or fall to experience it for yourself!
The seminars are conducted at the pristine 441-acre Björklunden estate on the shore of Lake Michigan outside Baileys Harbor in Door County.
Please note the following:
- Seminar participants choose only one seminar for each week of attendance.
- Class sizes are limited. Early registration will help ensure participants get into the seminar they prefer. Once seminars have reached or are near capacity, they are no longer available for online registration. You may call the lodge to find out if any spaces remain open.
- Registration is open to the general public – participants need not a connection to Lawrence University in order to attend.
- Seminar participants may either reside at the estate or commute from the area. Houseguests who reside at the estate but do not participate in seminars are also welcome though first preference on housing is given to seminar participants.
- Participants may arrive for seminars after 4 p.m. on Sunday; seminars officially begin with dinner on Sunday evening. Instructors usually hold a “meet and greet” session with class participants after dinner on Sunday. Please plan accordingly.
- Classes typically meet weekday mornings from 9 a.m. to noon, leaving the remaining time free. Instructors may offer optional afternoon or evening sessions and have the freedom to change the typical schedule if need be.
- Public events are often held at Björklunden any given seminar week, which participants may be able to attend. Details about these events will be posted at the lodge and announced during Sunday dinner. Information about events will not be provided to seminar participants before arrival.
- Participants are invited to sample local cuisine on Wednesday evening, our chef’s night off – dinner will not be served at the lodge Wednesday evening. Please plan accordingly.
- Seminars end either Friday after lunch or Saturday after breakfast. Seminars ending on Saturday do not meet that morning.
- Participants are responsible for acquiring any seminar texts and/or materials and some seminars require a materials fee. The necessary information can be found within each course description and will also be sent to participants two months before the start date of their seminar. Please note that some seminar instructors may assign coursework throughout the week.
- Participants are responsible for bringing their own writing utensils, notebooks, folders, and any other items that will aid in taking notes and organizing class materials. Björklunden will not provide these items.
- Björklunden may take photographs, videos, audiotape recordings, and other images and sound-based media during courses and events and may use such media for educational, promotional, advertising, and other purposes.
- Note: Please click on 'Seminar Listing by Date' below for Class and Lodge availability!
- For weeks ending Friday afternoon: $950 per person, double occupancy; $1,230 per person, single occupancy
- For weeks ending Saturday morning: $1,055 per person, double occupancy; $1,440 per person, single occupancy
- This all-inclusive fee covers seminar tuition, lodging and meals.
- Participants who register for a double occupancy room but do not specify a roommate will be paired with a same-gender roommate if possible. If the guest rooms fill up before a roommate can be assigned, participants will be charged the single occupancy rate.
- $475 per person
- This fee covers seminar tuition, Sunday dinner and all lunches. Other meals charged separately.
- $390 per person
- This fee covers seminar tuition only. Meals are not included with this rate.
- For weeks ending Friday afternoon: $690 per person, double occupancy; $975 per person, single occupancy
- For weeks ending Saturday morning: $700 per person, double occupancy; $1,050 per person, single occupancy
- This fee covers lodging and meals only. First preference on housing is given to seminar participants.
Materials and Other Fees
- Participants are responsible for bringing their own writing utensils, notebooks, folders and any other items that will aid in taking notes and organizing class materials. Björklunden will not provide these items.
- Participants are responsible for acquiring any seminar texts and/or materials and for reading required class texts before the seminar begins. Some seminars require a materials fee. The necessary information can be found within each online seminar description and will also be sent to participants two months before the start date of their seminar.
- Gratuities for student staff members are not included in any fees. A tip box will be set out for participants to leave a gratuity in the form of cash or a check made out to CASH. Tips are split evenly among our staff of 10 students. Participants often ask what is an appropriate tip amount--while we suggest anywhere between $50 and $120, participants are encouraged to leave a gratuity amount that they think accurately reflects the level of service they received.
Summer Savings! Refer-a-Friend Discount
Participants who have attended Björklunden seminars in the past and who refer a new seminar participant are eligible to receive a discount of $100 if the new participant attends as a resident or $50 if the new participant attends as a commuter. Limit one discount per person. Please contact the office at Bjorklunden to discuss refund options by calling 920-839-2216 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Viking Decade Discount
Lawrence University alumni from the Viking Decade (2011–2021) are invited to attend the seminars at half price. You will have an option to apply this discount when you register online.
- If it turns out you are unable to attend a seminar for which you registered, please contact the office at Bjorklunden to discuss refund options by calling 920-839-2216 or emailing email@example.com.
- Occasionally, Björklunden must cancel a seminar due to low enrollment, instructor illness or other unforeseen circumstances. If this occurs, we will notify participants as soon as possible. Participants may either receive a full refund of any fees paid, transfer the registration to another seminar (based on availability), or donate the fees to Björklunden as a tax-deductible gift. Notification of cancellation will normally occur three weeks prior to the beginning of the seminar, if possible, but can occur last minute.
- Björklunden is not responsible for losses incurred due to off-site lodging, travel, class materials or other arrangements.