DOMESTIC TRAVEL is any trip within the U.S. that is more than 200 miles from campus or includes an overnight stay (not including Björklunden). These require prior approval from the Associate Dean of the Faculty or Associate Dean of the Conservatory, and required travel forms must be collected by the trip leader or administrative assistant and submitted at least one week before departure.

Travel to Destinations in the U.S.

(This does not include travel to Lawrence's northern campus, Björklunden. See Travel to Björklunden.)

Group trips for academic purposes must have a faculty/staff trip leader (or sponsor if students travel on their own). The trip leader/sponsor should follow the procedures below, with help from building administrative assistants. The trip leader/sponsor is responsible for ensuring that all university travel requirements are met; failure to do so may result in cancellation of the trip.

Solo student trips for academic purposes with Lawrence support must be approved by the Associate Dean of the Faculty in the Provost's Office. Students should submit the trip proposal (#1) and travel forms (#2) with the request for funding. Failure to submit forms by the deadlines will result in the loss of Lawrence funding for the trip.

Steps to a Successful Trip

1. Propose a Trip

As soon as a trip is planned, the faculty/staff trip leader or sponsor (or the solo student traveler) should submit the following form:

Trip Proposal for Domestic Academic Travel

The associate dean will send approval and copy the building administrative assistant, who can assist with vehicle reservations and travel forms.

2. Verify Student Eligibility & Collect Travel Forms

Trip participants must be Lawrence faculty, staff, or students. The trip leader/sponsor should send a roster to the Dean of Students asking whether listed students are eligible to participate. The Dean of Students will check with other offices (Title IX, etc.) and provide approval or denial.

Once eligibility is approved, the trip/leader sponsor or administrative assistant should collect the following from each participant:

Personal Information & Release Form - carry copies during travel for emergency contacts & medical info

For group travel, all forms must be provided to the building administrative assistant no later than one week before departure. Any student who has not submitted a form by the deadline must be removed from the trip. 

For solo student travel, travel forms should be submitted to the Associate Dean of the Faculty in the Provost's Office.  Travel forms should accompany any request for funding and must be received before funding is approved.

Travel forms are placed in the following share folder for emergency access by the Dean of Students and Campus Safety:
campus_share > staff > student_travel_forms

3. Arrange Transportation & Lodging

Lawrence fleet vehicles should be used for long-distance or overnight travel with students. For airport travel, the trip leader/sponsor should arrange for an authorized driver to drop off and pick up the group at the airport, and the cost for the driver should be included in the trip fee. Fleet vehicles may not be left parked at an airport or parking garage for more than one night. Personal vehicles may be used for group transportation to and from the airport if driven by authorized drivers who have insurance that meets the standards of the vehicle use policy. Student drivers traveling without faculty/staff should schedule a pre-trip meeting with the Associate Dean of the Faculty.

Vehicle Use Policy, Authorized Driver Application, & Vehicle Reservation
Personal Vehicle Form - required for student vehicle use

Groups should stay in lodging that is appropriately licensed and insured to provide guest accommodations, not in private accommodations booked through online platforms.  Gender-neutral rooms may be offered on an opt-in basis only.

4. Identify Lawrence Portion of Travel

If the travel does not originate from the Lawrence campus, the trip leader/sponsor should identify the starting point (place and time) and ending point (place and time) that define the Lawrence portion of the trip. Students will be responsible for arranging their own transportation to and from these meeting points, and they may add personal travel before or after the Lawrence portion with the understanding that they are traveling on their own without Lawrence support or insurance.

5. Set Trip Fee & Arrange Payments

The trip leader/sponsor is responsible for setting the trip fee or program fee. The fee should include lodging, transportation, activity or registration fees, some meals (typically breakfast and either lunch or dinner), airport drivers (if needed), and travel expenses for trip leaders. Airfare may be included if the group travels together from and to the Lawrence campus; otherwise, students must arrange and pay for their own air travel to and from the course site. Because the trip fee is not included in tuition, it should be stated in the course syllabus. The program fee for a December Term travel course should be appended to the course description.

For inexpensive trips, a building administrative assistant can collect the trip fee and forms. For expensive trips, the trip leader/sponsor should work with Financial Services to establish an account for collection and disbursement of funds and to set deadlines for payments. A common practice is to have students pay a non-refundable deposit by check to Lawrence University and then to have the remaining fee applied to student accounts on a specified date. For students who must cancel for circumstances beyond their control, Lawrence will refund the remaining fee up to the amount that can be recovered. The trip leader/sponsor should inform students in writing that if their travel forms are not submitted by the deadline, they will be removed from the trip and will lose their deposit and any non-recoverable expenses.

The trip leader/sponsor should also plan for how group expenses will be paid during the trip. The preferred practice is to use a Lawrence credit card, and arrangements for a credit card or increased credit limit can be made with Financial Services. Payments, advances, and reimbursements use the standard financial forms and procedures.

6. Submit Final Roster & Itinerary

Submit the following form to the building administrative assistant at least three days before departure:

Final Roster & Itinerary

The administrative assistant will add the form to the student_travel_forms share folder.