INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL is any travel outside the United States of America. Courses with international travel require instructor approval for registration, and students must be in good academic standing (not on probation) and good disciplinary standing in order to enroll. All required travel forms must be submitted at least six weeks before departure.

For group trips, planning for international travel should begin at least six months in advance of the trip, which includes registering the trip as described on the Student International Travel Process website. The faculty/staff trip leader or sponsor should follow the procedures below, with help from building admin assistants for collecting fees and travel forms. The trip leader or sponsor is responsible for ensuring that all university travel requirements and restrictions are met; failure to do so may result in cancellation of the trip.

Solo student trips for academic purposes with Lawrence support require approval from the Associate Dean of the Faculty.  Students should submit travel forms with the request for funding at least three months before departure.  Failure to meet deadlines, submit required document, or receive necessary approvals will result in the loss of Lawrence funding for the trip.

Travel Restrictions

When planning travel, the faculty/staff leader or sponsor or the solo student traveler should check for travel warnings and alerts at the State Department, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the World Health Organization (WHO) at the following websites:

U. S. State Department Travel Warnings
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Travel Notices
World Health Organization (WHO)

The university does not sponsor travel to a country with U.S. State Department level 4 travel advisory. An exemption is required to travel to a country with a level 3 travel advisor. More information about this policy and how to petition for an exemption can be found on the Off-Campus Programs website.

Travel to Countries with Heightened Risk

Short-term travel to the United Kingdom must be kept separate from the Lawrence London Centre to protect our status as a T4 visa provider. The document below provides specific guidance.

Guidelines for UK Academic Travel


Travel Leaders

A group of students traveling internationally should generally have at least two leaders who are university employees.  In the event of illness or emergency, one leader should stay with the affected person (or, if necessary return with the affected person to the U.S.) while the others continue the trip. A group may be approved to travel with a single leader if travel is within a limited region (such as a single city) and a plan for on-site emergency assistance is approved by the Associate Dean of the Faculty. More information is on the Student International Travel Process website.

Lawrence Portion of Travel

For travel that does not originate from the Lawrence campus, students are responsible for their own airfare or transportation to and from the course site, and the Lawrence portion of the trip begins and ends at the designated meeting points, days, and times. Students may add personal travel before or after the academic travel as long as they arrive before and depart after the designated times. Personal travel is not supervised by trip leaders and not covered by Lawrence travel insurance, so students should make arrangements for their own travel insurance and emergency assistance if needed.

Travel to the Airport

For trips that depart from campus, the trip leader or sponsor should arrange for an authorized driver to drop off and pick up the group at the airport, and the cost for the driver should be included in the trip or program fee. Fleet vehicles may not be left parked at an airport or parking garage for more than one night. Personal vehicles may be used for airport transportation only if driven by authorized drivers who have insurance that meets the standards of the vehicle use policy. Student drivers traveling without faculty/staff should schedule a pre-trip meeting with the Associate Dean of the Faculty.

Vehicle Use Policy, Authorized Driver Application, and Vehicle Reservation
Personal Vehicle Form - required for student vehicle use


Program Fee & Financial Arrangements

The trip leader or sponsor is responsible for setting the program fee. The program fee should include lodging, ground transportation, museums and tours, some meals (typically breakfast and either lunch or dinner), CISI group travel insurance ($42 per month), and travel expenses for trip leaders. Airfare may be included if the group travels together from and to the Lawrence campus; otherwise, students must arrange and pay for their own air travel to and from the course site. The program fee is an additional charge beyond tuition and should be stated in the course description and syllabus.

The trip leader or sponsor should work with Financial Services to establish an account for collection and disbursement of funds and to set deadlines for payments. A common practice is to have students pay a non-refundable deposit by check to Lawrence University and then to apply the remaining fee to student accounts on a specified date. For students who must cancel for circumstances beyond their control, Lawrence will refund the remaining fee up to the amount that can be recovered.

The trip leader or sponsor should also plan for how expenses will be paid during the trip. The preferred practice is to use a Lawrence credit card; arrangements for a credit card or increased credit limit can be made with Financial Services. Payments, advances, and reimbursements use the standard financial forms and procedures.

Required Travel Forms & Procedures

Forms and procedures for international travel are described on the Off-Campus Programs website. The trip leader or sponsor is responsible for ensuring that all required forms are completed, collected, and submitted as directed. Building administrative assistants can assist with the collection of forms and deposits. The trip leader or sponsor should inform students in writing that if their travel forms are not submitted by the deadline, they will be removed from the trip and will lose their non-refundable deposit and any non-recoverable expenses.

Student International Travel Process

For December travel, all required student information and passport scans must be in the Off-Campus Programs system by October 15. For spring break travel, all information must be in the system by January 31. For other international travel, information must be in the system no later than six weeks before departure.