Choir Auditions for Fall 2021
Welcome back! We are excited to make music together. Here is the information you need for planning your fall choral experience.
Returning Student Audition Information
New Student Audition Information
• Please sign up for a live in-person or online audition HERE. We’ll hear students September 9 and 10.
• HERE is a guide to maximizing the audio quality for your audition on Zoom if you choose an online audition.
If you are auditioning for Cantala, Concert Choir, Viking Bass Clef Ensemble, or LU Vocal Spectrum, or if you're pursuing a voice-primary major (such as choral music education or vocal performance), you will need to complete the full choral audition. A major factor in your successful audition for these ensembles will be how well you prepare thisMUSICAL EXCERPT to perform. You do not need to sing it in German – a neutral syllable is fine. We just want to see how comfortable you are teaching yourself a short amount of choral repertoire.
If you are interested in Viking Chorale, we just need to check your happiest vocal range. There is no formal audition or anything: no sight-reading or prepared excerpts.
Please note: Concert Choir and Cantala have a mandatory retreat at Bjorklunden from Friday, September 17 at 5:45 p.m. to Sunday, September 19 at 5:00 p.m. Please do not audition for these ensembles if you cannot attend the retreat.
Here’s what the audition will look like:
1. We’ll let you into the meeting when we’re ready. It’s best to log into the meeting a few minutes early and take a few deep breaths. You’re going to do great!
2. We’ll start with conversation. We’re excited to speak with you.
3. We’ll move to vocalizing you throughout your range.
4. We’ll then try to find your voice’s healthiest tessitura (where it likes to hang out, so to speak). You’ll sing “My Country Tis of Thee” in a range of keys. If you’re not familiar with that song, please click HERE to get a copy of the song.
5. We’ll move next to some ear-training games. We’ll play some intervals on the piano and ask you to sing them back. We’ll play a chord on the piano and ask you to sing the lowest, highest, or middle notes.
6. Finally, we’ll move to some sight-reading exercises. We’ll suggest a line from the document you’ll have just received, and ask you to clap through the rhythms. We’ll suggest a line from the document and ask you to sight-sing the melody (we’ll give you the starting pitch and ask you to sing it unaccompanied).
And that's it! This isn't a competition, and we're not here to ascertain if you have "it". We're here to celebrate what you know, figure out what you don't yet know so we know what to teach, and help you find the right choir for this year. Enjoy the process, sing with pride, and help us get to know you!
Required Concert Attire
Singers in Concert Choir, Viking Bass Clef Ensemble, Viking Chorale and LU Vocal Spectrum
Please wear tasteful, modest clothes that are black. Some examples: a dress with shoulders, a hemline well below the knees, and a relatively high neckline; black pants, white button-down shirt, black suit coat; black tuxedo with white tux shirt, black cummerbund, and bow-tie; black slacks, black blouse/sweater.
All students should be wearing closed-toed black dress shoes, not flip flops. Black socks or nylons go with black shoes.
• black, Aspen dress (see info below)
• black nylons
• appropriate black undergarments for formal wear
• black, close-toed dress shoes (comfortable, heel not too high, and no sandals or casual shoes)
Singers participating in Cantala will need to purchase the “Aspen” dress from Stage Accents.
Just in case you have any difficulty with the above link, their web address is: www.stageaccents.com. Click on “Women’s Formal.” Part way down the page is the picture of the Aspen dress. Click on the dress/description to go to the page with the dress description. Their direct telephone number is 1-800-631-1611.
Following is the information you will need:
Dress: Black Aspen Dress, order #8605B
Lawrence University Customer Number: S54901
Stage Accents will accept check or money order but credit card is preferred. Please be very careful when determining the size to order since there will be a restocking fee for returns.
PLEASE NOTE: Hem length is 1/2" off the floor with your dress shoes on. The hem must to be completely finished (with all extra fabric cut off, etc). The bottom of the dress should look exactly the same as it did before the alterations, except shorter, and the top shouldn't look any different at all!